Tuesday, May 22, 2012

ZOE

My ex-wife and I adopted ZOE around 2006, when she was only 1.5 years old. She had already been knocked up and given birth to a litter. Zoe was adopted from an organization called RAIN. We paid very little for her, and brought her home to meet Jerry and Kitty. Zoe and Kitty hit it right off, but Jerry didn't like other cats so he would harass and basically attack her any chance he could. Carol and I moved into a condo and Zoe's personality started to develop. She seemed to be coming out of her shell. A few months prior to our move, Kitty had to be put to sleep and we adopted baby Annabelle. Zoe seemed more comfortable in the role of mother to younger cats. Jerry, as always kept his distance from the whole lot.

Zoe loved, and still does, to sit on the couch behind your head and pat it with her paws before starting to nibble at your scalp. She then nods off and snores. Over the years, contrary to several dieting attempts, Zoe has gotten fatter. It is funny to watch her waddle sometimes. Most recently she puked three times on the floor then went right back to the food dish and started eating again. When I am slowly waking from a 9 hour slumber, if Zoe is nibbling my face and purring next to me, I know the food dish is empty.

Zoe will look at you a bit cock-eyed, tilting her head ever so slightly which has caused me to believe that Zoe may be slightly retarded, or at least a bit mental. She is loving, and she is cuddly, but she is strange.

She has plenty of dandruff and endlessly sheds hair which pisses me off, but she cuddles and loves and lets me use her as a pillow for my head. She will not respond to her name being called, prompting me somtimes to wonder if she's deaf, but alas she is not becuase sometimes she will look my way when she's called.

In the end, Zoe is adorable, semi-retarded and in need of a diet and some shampoo.

Love ya Zoe.

UPDATE:  With the addition of a third cat ASHES, Zoe now spends most of her time hissing and screeching at Ashes whenever he attempts to mess with her.  She sleeps on my right while Ashes and Daniel sleep on my left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment